How to use Saffron
Saffron can be used in two ways: powdered or threads. Saffron threads are mainly used for decorating purposes. As powered Saffron gives a better colour, aroma and taste, it is a better choice in cooking.
If you need to use powdered Saffron, it is better to make your own instead of buying powdered Saffron. If you are going to only use a pinch or two at a time, buying a mortar and pestle is highly recommended .If you find it hard to grind Saffron, add a pinch of sugar and then grind it. This makes the grinding easier and does not affect your recipe. The other option is to use a blade coffee grinder to grind few grams at a time (burr coffee grinders will not work as the saffron threads are light and they will not fall into the burr).
Always store Saffron in a cool dry place and away from direct light. Do not expose Saffron to moisture and keep it in an airtight container.
Saffron: 1/2 teaspoon
Water: 4 cups
White Rice: 2 cups
Unsalted Butter:1/4 cup
Barberries (for decoration purposes)
1. Pour 4 cups of water into a large saucepan (fill it to the brim) then cover and boil.
2. Add the rice which already soaked in a salty water for 1 hour to the boiling water and keep on boiling, while stirring it a little bit.
3. After boiling for around 5-8 minutes, scoop some rice from the water with a slotted spoon. Check whether the rice is semi soft by breaking one grain in half. If it’s semi soft (not too soft, not too hard), then stop boiling and pour the rice into a sieve to drain.
To make Crispy rice
1. Add 3 tablespoons of the drained rice, Saffron, and 2 tablespoons of yogurt to a bowl and stir together until you get a smooth mix.
2. Put the empty saucepan back over the medium heat. Pour the smooth mix into the saucepan to cover the entire bottom after adding ¼ inch Canola oil.
3. Then add the remaining drained rice and bring it to a pyramid shape. Use a paper towel to cover the pot and then tightly close the lid. Boil for around 30-40 minutes till the starts to steam.
4. Scoop the rice from the pot with a wide spatula, without disturbing the crispy rice that is formed on the bottom of the pot. Serve the rice on a flat plate and bring to a semi pyramid shape. Turn the crispy rice onto a flat plate by inverting the pot. You can also decide to cut it into pieces and serve it around the rice.
For decorating the rice you can fry Barberries in butter and add just a little bit of sugar to it. Mix some Saffron powder with water and add it to barberries and fry for 1 min then decorate the rice.
All done! Enjoy your Saffron rice!
Ingredients (4 servings)
Chicken fillet (0.5 Kg)
1 Onion (Grated)
2 cups of lemon juice
1 tbsp Olive oil
A pinch of saffron
Salt and pepper
1-put chicken in a bowl and mix it with grated onion, then sprinkle Saffron powder ,salt and pepper on it, and finally add lemon juice and olive oil .cover the bowl and leave it in a fridge for 2 hours.
2- Cook this marinated chicken on a stove or in an oven.
You can fry all bowl ingredients on a stove in a big pan and cover it for 20 min with low temperature in order to cook well.
Or you can transfer all ingredients to a proper dish and cover it then place it in oven with 200 ◦c for an hour.
Prawn is a delicious seafood .Adding some saffron to prawn brings out an amazing taste from this popular sea food.
Banana prawn (0.5 kg)
1 tbsp crushed threads of saffron
1 onion (grated)
1 tbsp Lemon juice
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp yougurt
3 tbsp flour
5 tbsp Olive oil(special for deep fry)
1-sprinkle salt to 2 glasses of water and soak prawns for 30 minutes.
2-Grate onion and separate its juice. Take prawns out of salty water and add onion’s juice, lemon juice, crushed garlic, paprika, salt and saffron. Keep the mix for an hour in a fridge.
3-whisk 1 egg and add yogurt and 3 spoons of flour and stir it well. Add it to the previous mix and keep it in a fridge for another 20 min. ( You may skip stage 3 if don’t want make the Prawn breaded).
4-Now deep fry prawns in a very hot oil for 4 or 5 min.
Creamy Saffron Seafood Risotto
Saffron Ice Cream
Saffron & black tea
To make two cups of Saffron/ black tea:
1. Boil fresh water. Once that is done, rinse your teapot with some of the hot water.
2. The next step is to put 3-4 grams of tea in the teapot.
3. Add a pinch of saffron powder (100 mg) and pour the hot water ( 50mg of Saffron is enough per cup of tea).
4. brew it for around 3– 5 minutes.
You can add raisin, sugar cubes or honey. But note that, adding milk or sugar or any other sweeteners will certainly change the taste.
Swedish Saffron Buns
Baklava with Saffron